"Sometimes you gotta create what you want to be a part of it."
-Geri Weitzman

Thursday, September 12, 2013

DIY Dry Erase Do Not Disturb Sign

  Sometimes when I am at the craft store I buy things that I really have no purpose for or I pick it up with great intentions of doing some sort of project that never gets done.  Then there are times that I put things to good use and have an excess left over and I don't want to get rid of it.  This is how this project came about.
  Remember a few posts back about the dry erase reusable labels I bought?  After I used them on the jars I several of the labels left over.  As I was going through my craft closet I found these wooden 3x3 picture frames that I never did anything with and I thought they would make perfect "Do Not Disturb" signs to hang on the bedroom or bathroom door knobs.  However, I wanted to be able to change the sign if I wanted.  For instance, if we were  expecting company I could change the sign to say, "Be Our Guest" and hang it on the guest bedroom door knob.  Then I had an even BETTER idea. What if I made it double sided like the ones at the hotels, and I could use the dry erase labels to make it easier rather than changing out papers with messages on them.
  Yep, it happened, and this is how I did it.

What you need:
1.  Wooden (ready to paint if you want) picture frames.  I used 3x3 frames.



2.  Paint- only if you found frames that needed to be painted.
3.  Hot glue gun
4.  Dry Erase labels
5.  Ribbon

How to do it:
1.  Paint your frames if need be.  I painted both sides so you couldn't see the back of the other frame when you flip the sign over.


2.  Take the chip board or card board piece that comes in the frame, center the dry erase label and apply it to the board.  Place them in the frame.
3.  Hot glue your ribbon to the back side of one of the picture frames.  Then hot glue the backs of both picture frames to each other.




  4.  Write your desired message and hang on your door.

  I am thinking about hanging one on my office door that says, "Blogging in Session".  Cute I thought.  Happy sign making!

No comments:

Post a Comment