"Sometimes you gotta create what you want to be a part of it."
-Geri Weitzman

Saturday, August 3, 2013

Living Room Closet Reorganize

  Not only am I a neat freak about what you see in front of you but I am a neat freak about what is behind the closet door.  If I were to have guests over and they were to open a closet door I would want them to be blown away.  Plus it gives me peace of mind.  The more clean, the more organized the more simple your mind and life will be.  I shared with you how I organized my movies, well you will see how they were before in this post.
  I even simplified my steps and rules to reorganize the closet and I am happy to share them with you.

1.  Take inventory of what you have and decide what stays and what goes.
      -I used the rule if we haven't used it, watched it, worn it, etc. in the last 6 months and there is no
sentimental value then it GOES.
      Example: We had games that we haven't played in a long time so I put them in the donation box.

2.  Decide where and how you are going to store the keepers.
     -Prioritize your items and start from the ground up keeping eye level and reach height your top priority item space.  This makes them more accessible and easier to keep organized.
     Example:  My vacuum is used once a week and my t.v. trays needed to be put "out of sight, out of mind" so we could have dinner at our kitchen table.  So I put them out in the garage right next to the door.  Then that way they are still in reach but they are not in the way.

3.  Be patient and give yourself time to dive in and focus on the closet or area you are reorganizing.
     -The more you rush yourself the more crap you will keep and the less organized it will be.  You will be back to square one before you know it.

4.  Try to keep a color scheme.  I know that sounds crazy BUT the more uniform closets look the more organized they look.  Rather than your eye looking at twenty different colored boxes your eye has one or two colors to look at.
  So, with those simple steps plug away.  Here is my before picture:




  Total CHAOS!  This seriously made me crazy every time I opened the door.  Now I can relax and know I can open the door and find this:


  For the items on the top shelf I labeled them.  It gives it a little decorative touch.  Here is a close up:


  Now it's your turn.  Happy reorganizing!


No comments:

Post a Comment