"Sometimes you gotta create what you want to be a part of it."
-Geri Weitzman

Thursday, June 14, 2012

From This to That: New Kicks!

  White isn't my color but for some reason I buy the things that will get dirty so quickly, like shoes and purses.  A couple years ago I bought a pair of white canvas Vans.  I loved them for about 20 minutes then I got them dirty.  Same thing with this cute white duffel bag purse from Old Navy.  I have had to wash them after every use.  So I decided I wasn't going to take it any more and I bought some Rit Dye.   Fuchsia for that matter, I my as well make a statement.
   The directions are extremely easy and the process was too.  You have several different options,either in the washer, a sink or bucket, or a pot on the stove.  I chose to dye my shoes and purse in a 5 gallon bucket in my bathroom tub.   Just follow the instructions of which ever one you choose.  I couldn't take pictures of the entire process because my hands were wet and my camera man was taking a nap. The dye washes out easily as long as you rinse your bucket or tub right away.   So without further ado here are my pics.
 
My steps:


  First I dissolved my dye in 2 cups of hot water.  Then I filled my bucket 3/4 (3 gallons) full of HOT water.  Before I put my dye mix into the bucket I placed my shoes and my purse in the the bucket and made sure that they were soaked.  Then I added the dye mix.  Using gloves I stirred my shoes and purse around in the bucket for about 10 minutes.  Then I rinsed each piece starting out with hot water and gradually taking it to warm water.  Finally I hand washed them in mild detergent and laid them out to dry outside.
Before:


Dingy and gross

Blah!




After:




How cheery and cute is this!

My new favorite kicks!
My dye.  
   
  I hope there is something around your house that you can dye because I must tell you how much fun it is.  Oh and how cheap it is too. 

No comments:

Post a Comment