I was very privileged to have the opportunity to spend some one on one time with a personal trainer. Megahnn Goodwin was at my disposal (her words exactly) so I could ask her anything and everything about getting fit. She is incredible and someone that I look up to. So I am pleased to introduce you to her.
Q and A with Megahnn Goodwin:
1. What got you into personal training?
"My own fitness experience, highs and lows and coaching."
2. What is your favorite part of the job?
"Witnessing the change and watching people make a better lifestyle choices and seeing the results. With that comes the confidence the find in themselves."
3. What is your favorite song to work out to?
"LMFAO-Sexy and I know It. Any fast, quick dance beat."
4. Outside of the gym where do you like to work out?
"My living room or the nearest track."
5. How many days a week do you work out"
"I work out 5 to 6 days a week."
6. What is your guilty pleasure food?
"Cheese and popcorn."
7. What is the biggest myth about personal trainers?
"They do the 'Biggest Loser' drill sergeant yell."
Q and A on Getting Started:
Gear and Equipment:
1. Do you need different shoes for the gym and for running?
"If you have a shoe that is a running shoe you don't need a separate pair for the gym."
2. What are some of the best tools you would recommend to use for a work out?
"A swiss ball (yoga ball), resistance band, jump rope and starter weights."
Working out and eating right:
1. If you are just beginning to work out how many days should you make routine?
" I would say 2 to 3 days a week for a goal of 60 minutes. Once your fitness level goes up then increase it. You want to reach 4 to 6 days a week."
2. How do you determine your fitness level?
"Being honest with yourself is number one. Take your measurements and weight."
3. What is the biggest challenge for anyone that you have noticed with working out?
"To be selfish. You have to want to do it for you and take the time for yourself. I have been faced a lot of challenges in my life but you have to learn to shut it off. Do it for yourself. Even to pay a trainer doesn't mean you will want to do it, yes the money can be motivation, but you do it because you want to."
4. Diet is obviously important to anyone whether your losing weight or not. What do you teach or tell your clients about healthy eating?
"Your diet is 80% of your all around health and wellness. Always have protein and water with every meal and never skip or not eat. Eat 4 to 5 times a day at specific times a day. Not eating slows your metabolism. Once you eat something after not eating for hours your body holds it and doesn't burn it because it's already in starvation mode. That's why you begin to feel sluggish. Then you won't have the engery to work out."
5. We all have been there. No time and nothing to eat. What would you do if your in this situation?
"The best thing I would tell anyone is on a day off grill/cook a ton of chicken breasts (4-6 breasts) and brown rice. Keep it in the fridge so you can grab it and put a meal together when you don't have much time."
Meghann is a great trainer and I hope you look forward to our journey that we had together for a session. Get motivated and keep focused.