For the banana peppers I used a recipe I found at www.food.com. The other was my own little recipe.
To get started you will need 12 half pint jars (the lids and rings usually come in the box with the jars). To sterilize the jars place them in the dishwasher and let them run thru a cycle. See my photo below.
|1/2 pint jars already to go!|
kit. I bought this kit for $7 and it has
a jar funnel, jar lifter, magnetic lid lifter
and a bubble remover/headspace tool.
I used all these tools and it made the entire
process extremely smooth.
Sweet Pickled Banana Peppers recipe
1 lb. banana peppers sliced into rings
4 cups white vinegar
1 1/3 cups white sugar
1 teaspoon mustard seed
1 teaspoon celery seed
1. Sterilize 5 1/2 pint jars.
2. Place 5 lids and 5 rings in a small sauce pan turn on medium heat lower if needed.
3. Place the peppers into the jars leaving a 1/2 inch space from the top of the jar. This is where you can use your headspace tool.
4. Combine all the other ingredients in a pot, bring to a rolling boil.
5. Pour or ladle the pickling juice into jars over peppers leaving the same 1/2 inch headspace.
6. Wipe the rim of each jar to ensure no liquid is remaining to prevent sealing. Then, using your magnetic lid lifter place lids onto jars and screw on rings hand tight.
7. Place jars on a cooling rack or towel and sit for seal process.
You can water bath the jars if you would like. This process may give you a more piece of mind but the recipe does not require this step.
8. Let sealed jars sit for two weeks. Then enjoy.
To water bathe jars just fill a stock pot with water enough to cover the jars and then about an inch higher.
Let them bathe for 15 minutes or whatever the recipe calls for if you are following another one. Use your jar lifter to place and remove the jars from the water. You will hear the lids "pop" when they are sealed. Don't worry if this process takes awhile. If they still "click" they are not sealed. You may place the unsealed jars in the fridge and use within a couple of months.
|My jars in their water bath.|
Hot Pickled Sweet Peppers
4 Green bell peppers-seeded and cut into quarters
3/4 lb of jalapenos-cut into rings
3 1/2 cups white vinegar
3/4 cup water
1/4 cup sugar
2 teaspoons pickling salt
2 cloves garlic-peeled
1 paper bag
1. Heat over to 450 degrees. Place green bell peppers cut side down onto a cookie sheet covered with tinfoil. Cook for 20 minutes. Remove from oven and place into paper bag. Seal paper bag and let stand for 10 mins. Then peel skin and chop.
2. Bring a stock pot of water to a boil for a water bath. Place lids and rings in small sauce pan in boiling water.
3. Fill 7 sterilized jars with peppers leaving a 1/2 inch headspace.
4. Boil vinegar, water, sugar, salt and garlic in large sauce pan. Then pour or ladle over peppers leaving a half inch headspace.
5. Place lids on jars and screw down with rings finger-tip tight.
6. Place jars in water bath for 15 minutes. Remove and let them sit on rack or towel to seal. Remember listen for that "pop".
|Sliced jalapenos and whole garlic cloves.|
If you don't hear the pop you can always check the tops of the jars. If the top "clicks" when you press down on the center it is not sealed.
Remember to always write the date on the top of the lid after the jar seals. I would keep these for about a year both recipes.
|Ladling the pickling juice into jars.|
I hope you guys enjoyed my first Creative Challenge blog.