"Sometimes you gotta create what you want to be a part of it."
-Geri Weitzman

Thursday, February 13, 2014

DIY Filing Cabinet Revamp

  Recently I redecorated my office.  Well, actually I should say I decorated it and when all was said and done my filing cabinet looked...out of place.  It was an eye sore to be honest so I decided to paint it and change the handles on it.  Simple solution to my problem right?  I already had the paint I just had to buy the handles which I got at The Home Depot for $5.97 each.  My paint is the Behr Ultra in Antique Earth (which I also bought awhile back at The Home Depot).

Before


After

  I had to drill new holes for my handles which has a little funny story.  When we first bought this filing cabinet we had to wood glue everything together even though it already came assembled.  We would pull the drawer out and the front would start to come off or the bars that hold the files up would fall out so we glued it.  Never since then have we had a problem with it coming apart.  As I was drilling the holes for the handles in the top drawer it all just came apart!  Literally fell apart!  It was like we had never glued it.  Luckily I was home by myself and I could have my moment of complete INSANITY and throw a fit.  I seriously lost my mind.  Thank goodness I am not on a reality t.v. show because I was not a happy camper.  Have you ever had one of those moments when something that little just sets you off?  Not to worry though I did manage to get it all put back together and let's just say it's not going to come apart again.  Just thought I would share.
  It's amazing what a little paint and new hardware will do to make something fit in better.  Remember  next time you have something that just doesn't quite fit how much simple changes can really make something come alive again and save you a ton of money.

No comments:

Post a Comment