1. Felt fabric: 2 pieces of the same color for the body, 3 different colors for the fins, scales and straps.
3. Hot glue gun
4. Thread and needle
How to make it:
1. I first drew out my pattern and then made a "test" costume out of paper. I put it on the cats to test out the measurements and mark areas where I needed to change things.
2. Then I traced the pattern of each piece (the body, the fins and the scales) then cut them out. For the scales I used a large button to get the "arch" of the scales so they were uniform.
3. I glued the top part only of the body pieces to each other so the bottom was open. Then I glued the back fins separately to each body piece leaving the back open as well.
4. I then started gluing the scales on in an arch pattern on the body pieces.
5. Once I had all of the body done I glued a strap just below the neckline of the costume and then one across the belly only gluing one side of the belly strap. I sewed a button on the inside of the body where the bottom strap would come across then made my slit in the strap.
This project was a total success considering I made my own pattern and had nothing to go by except my own ideas. I took as many pictures as I could to show how I did it. I hope you guys like it. Please if you have any questions leave a comment and I will be glad to answer.
|My patterns traced onto my felt.|
|Hot gluing the top part of the body.|
|My scales cut out in rows.|
|The scales cut into individual pieces.|
|Sewing the button on the inside for the bottom strap.|
|See how the bottom is open so you can put it on your pet?|
|Our one kitty showing off her costume.|
|This one knows how to model the product.|