"Sometimes you gotta create what you want to be a part of it."
-Geri Weitzman

Sunday, October 16, 2011

In The Kitchen: Drying and Preserving herbs

   Ever since I have started to keep a garden I have had herbs.  My first garden had a ton of different herbs and I didn't use all of them.  I really didn't know how to use them after season until now.  Drying and preserving herbs is easy.  Thyme is out of control in my garden and like most herbs the more you pick it the more it grows so this technique has come in handy.  Here's how easy it is.

1.  After cutting herbs wash them and pat them drying.
2.  Wrap kitchen twine around the top and make a loop.
3.  Hang herbs upside down for 4-10 days in a dry, cool place
4.  Once the herbs are crisp pick leaves off the stems and place in an air tight container.

   Label and date them and place in a dry, cool place.  Herbs like rosemary, thyme, oregano and sage are good for this particular process.  They will last up to 6 months, so just in time for the next season.

Other ideas I have come up with is seasoned salts.  Dried herbs and salts would be a great and unique gift for someone.  Just take sea salt and dried herbs and mix together, place in an air tight container.  I would label and date it as well and probably give it the same shelf life.

 The containers I bought at World Market/Cost Plus for .99!  They are glass and have colored ceramic tops.  Super cute and fun for gifts.  Here are my pictures below, I hope you guys try this out!

My containers, herbs and twine.

Hanging to dry!  See you in a few days.

Dried and ready to go.  See how much color has faded?

No comments:

Post a Comment