"Sometimes you gotta create what you want to be a part of it."
-Geri Weitzman

Monday, September 5, 2011

In The Kitchen: Corn on the Cob

   Farmer's markets and local produce stores are a great way to find deals on produce.  Not to mention the fact that it's a huge way to support your local farmers and boost the economy.  Sometimes you find such great deals that when you get home you find that you are not sure what to do with them.  Well I have solved the problem at hand.  I recently bought a dozen ears of corn for $3.50 from Simpons Farms and this is what I did with it.


What you need:
1 dozen ears of corn
Gallon freezer bags
1-10 lb bag of ice

Steps of Getting Setup:
 1.  Remove husks from the cobs and rinse.
 2.  Fill your stockpot 3/4 full of water.
 3.  Fill a large bowl full of ice water.  I bought a bag of ice so I knew that I would have enough to blanch the corn.
 4.  Place a kitchen towel next to the bowl of ice water for a "drying station"
 5.  Label 3 One gallon freezer bags with date.  I also put on my label where I bought the corn so I knew  next year where to buy it.

The process:
 1.  Bring water to a boil in your stock pot.  Place 4 ears of corn in boiling water using tongs (so you don't burn your fingers.  Boil the corn for only 5 minutes.  Because you are freezing these and you will be reheating them.  You don't want to over cook the corn and make it too soft.
My corn all ready to go next to my stockpot!








Boiling away!
 2.  Once the corn is cooked, using your tongs, remove the corn and place them in the ice water.  This process is called blanching and it stops the cooking.  Let them sit in the ice bath for about 3 minutes.  While your batch of corn is bathing place your next batch of uncooked corn into the boiling water.
 3.  Remove them from the ice bath and pat dry.  Place in labeled freezer bags and put in freezer to enjoy later.
In the ice bath.


   You can portion these out any way you like.  I did four in each bag because I would normally cook that amount for dinner so we have some for lunch the next day.  You can even cut them in half for kids size or picnics.  When it's time for you to cook them pop them in the microwave for about 1-1 1/2 minutes (depending upon desired temperature).  If you don't have a microwave like myself, place them in boiling water for a few minutes until corn is heated thru.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment